Sunday, February 7, 2010

Week 3, Lasagna!

Ingredients^

Sauce^

Ricotta Cheese^



Layering the ingredients^

Finished Uncooked

Finished!



This week for my cooking experience, I made spinach lasagna. I've been wanting to make a pasta dish because I love any type of pasta. I was feeling a little homesick, so I decided to make lasagna, a dish that my mom usually makes at home. Hopefully it could cure me :) So I emailed my mom asking her for her recipe and she gave it to me. I've always watched her make it but never really paid attention to the ingredients or how she puts everything together. So I knew it would be a little bit of a challenge.

Even though Im not italian, my family tends to make italian dishes at home. Pastas like ravioli, lasagna and spaghetti are my favorites that my mom makes. What I eat at home is probably far different from what Italians make in Italy. But as the culture came to America, the food is Americanized, and changed to fit what Americans like to eat.

Here is the recipe similar to the one that my mom uses:



The only problems I ran into during the process was that I was a little short on sauce and cheese when topping off the lasagna. My roommates were very excited when they found out I was cooking this, but my one roommate doesnt like spinach so I did half the lasagna with spinach and half without. The recipe says to mix the spinach with the ricotta cheese mixture, but instead I just put the spinach on separately. Also you must definitely plan ahead when making this because it takes an hour to cook the lasagna. I started making it at 8:00, so by the time it was finished getting prepared, cooked and cooled it was 9:45! (a little late to be eating dinner, at least for me) So make sure you start a little early when making this! Other than that, the pasta was delicious and I felt like I was just at home again. My mom was also very impressed!



2 comments:

  1. The lasagna looks great and the pictures made me hungry! I might have to try this recipe myself. I'm sorry it took so long to make, but hopefully in the end it was worth it. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing what you make next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I'm pretty impressed to hear that you made it on your first try, I know I would have messed something up somewhere. It's pretty cool that your mom was able to give you a recepie for you to remember home. Glad it worked out so well. Can't wait to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete

jjarasek@umail.iu.edu